The membership of CATRA (Canadian Association of Tire Recycling Agencies) is made up of tire recycling agencies in the provinces and territories of Canada. CATRA’s mission is to enhance the effectiveness of each Member’s program through the sharing of information, expertise and resources. Its vision is a strong partnership that is committed to a clean environment by enhancing value for its Members and creating a sustainable, positive value for end-of-life tires in Canada.
As members of CATRA, all 10 provinces and the Territory of Yukon have programs in place to ensure the proper management of end of life tires. The programs all collect scrap tires and through recycling seek to transform these materials into marketable value-added products. CATRA works to assist these efforts and support the great work being done in every province across Canada.
CATRA is an informal association which maintains no legal status, has no independent sources of revenue and makes no disbursements. Operational and day-to-day costs of CATRA are shared proportionately by the Members. Special projects are funded voluntarily by provinces willing to participate, based on the benefits they may receive.
Guided by its mission and vision, CATRA has set out a robust Strategic Plan (2016-2018) to continue increasing value to its Members, the competitive advantage to the industry, and organizational growth.
The Plan reflects CATRA’s focus on higher value products which supports its goal to make the industry sustainable and with less reliance on consumer-financed recycling fees.
Five Key Performance Areas drive CATRA’s delivery of the Strategic Plan. Each includes several sub-areas with specific actions, performance targets and timing.
CATRA has arrived at priorities for 2016 in the areas of communications, data reporting and its website, included under Key Performance Areas 1, 2, and 4. Other topics such as market development and advocacy, included under areas 3 and 5, will be priorities in 2017 and 2018.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS
1. Knowledge Management
- Information Hub – provide technology functionality to store data for on-demand access and use by CATRA Members
- Data Gathering/Retrieval – deliver a process to capture and retrieve Member-relevant information
- Data Mining and Analysis – capture data that supports business intelligence
2. Service to Members
- Provide Value – deliver continuous improvement to Member services
- Project Support – manage collaborative Member-initiated projects that tie to the concerns and priorities of Members
- Best Practices – share and improve Member and industry performance by replicating successes throughout the tire recycling system
- Harmonize/Standardize – support Member efforts to achieve consistency in areas such as terminology and program performance reporting
- Shared Services – investigate opportunities to organize administrative functions to optimize delivery of cost‐effective, flexible, reliable services to Members
- Technology Transfer – help Members convert relevant scientific and technological advances to improve their tire-derived products or the marketability of those products
- Networking – provide opportunities for Members to build meaningful and mutually beneficial relationships with each other and their stakeholders
3. Facilitate Sustainable Markets
- Understand – research and advance a market-making methodology that enables Members to create needed market space for their products
- Market Shaping – support a strategic shift from traditional markets to creating “new” market space
- Innovation – assist processors and manufacturers who are leading the creative process to invent (create something new) then innovate (create the practical and marketable application)
4. Organizational Capacity
- Organizational Stability – ensure CATRA has the ongoing resources to deliver its Strategic Plan
- Refresh – review and refresh CATRA’s Vision, Mission and structure to reflect organizational needs
- Communicate – maintain a communication infrastructure and activities that keep Members and stakeholders informed and involved in the organization’s future
- Relationship-building – develop cooperative relationships that serve the interests of CATRA’s Members
- Northern Outreach – help find new and innovative ways to provide tire recycling services to the north
CATRA’s Strategic Plan is reviewed on an annual basis, with each Key Performance Area assessed separately. The Performance Areas and related action items and targets are adjusted accordingly based on these assessments.